A Wellness Visit (teeth cleaning) is commonly done using both hand instruments as well as prophy paste, special dental toothpaste. Sometimes, an instrument called an ultrasonic hand-piece is also used in order to remove tartar and plaque. A child’s visit will commonly only include a polish using prophy paste.
Dental cleanings should be done in the office biannually, unless the dentist, or hygienist prescribes an alternate routine for you or your family member.
A professional teeth cleaning visit at Richards Frankel Dentistry will commonly include the procedures listed below.
- Head and Neck Exam– The dentist will examine the tongue, cheeks, lips, and the head and neck in order to make sure everything appears healthy and within the range of normal.
- Periodontal Evaluation– The dentist will check the patients gums, and other tissues in order to evaluate for disease such as gingivitis, or periodontitis.
- Removal of Plaque – When you eat, naturally-occurring bacteria in your mouth produce acids that form plaque. This filmy substance coats the surfaces of your teeth, eventually dissolving the outer layer of teeth called enamel. Regular cleanings at home and at the dentist can keep plaque from permanently damaging your teeth.
- Tartar Removal – Also known as calculus, tartar is hardened plaque that is firmly attached to the tooth. This substance is above and below the gumline, and can only be removed during a trip to the dentist.
- Teeth Cleaning & Polishing – While a teeth cleaning removes plaque and tartar from your teeth, polishing makes the surfaces of your teeth smooth. This technique removes the stains from substances like coffee, tea, and wine that build up over time.
- Fluoride Treatment – Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay by making your teeth more resistant to acid attacks from plaque, bacteria, and sugars in the mouth. Fluoride will help remineralize teeth that have been affected by decay, stopping cavities from forming.
- Home Dental Care Guidance – Good dental health needs to take place at home as well as at Richards Frankel Dentistry. Our staff will guide you through each step regarding how best to take care of your teeth and gums based on your special needs. Basic tips include how to effectively and efficiently brush and floss your teeth using complimentary supplies sent home with you after your appointment. See below for some general guidelines for home care.
- X-rays– X-rays are used to evaluate the teeth and the supporting structures. X-rays help to diagnose cavities, bone height, the status of existing restorations, and for more purposes.