Your Mouth has a Huge Impact on Your Overall Health!
It is extremely important to let my patients know about the connection between your oral health and overall health. Here is what I want you to know:
- Periodontal Disease is an INFLAMMATORY DISEASE. It is inflammation of the gums, which can subsequently impact other structures in the mouth, including bone. What causes it? Bacterial overgrowth ( bad bacteria outweigh good bacteria).
- The destructive forces of Periodontal Disease (oral bacteria) are the same destructive forces in many common diseases like STROKE, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE, etc.
- Periodontal Disease exacerbates other inflammatory diseases, including ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE, CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE, DIABETES, etc.
- Up to 50% of HEART ATTACKS are triggered by bad oral bacteria
- The oral bacterium P.Gingivalis raises the risk of HEART ATTACK 13.6 TIMES- that’s two times more likely that you’ll have a heart attack due to gum disease than being a smoker.
- Having Periodontal Disease is as big of a risk for a STROKE as having high blood pressure.
So, what can you do to lower your risk of Periodontal Disease, and stay healthy? Visit your dentist! Dr. Frankel evaluates every patient for Periodontal Disease (gum disease). If you are diagnosed with gum disease, Richards Frankel Dentistry will make sure your disease is controlled and well-treated. Don’t ignore your mouth, it will impact your overall health!
Stay healthy and informed,